Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Deployment Day

Well deployment day has come and gone and the adjustment period has begun. Sunday was undoubtedly the hardest day of my life, saying good-bye and seeing Dave for the last time for atleast 6 months. We arrived at the unit at 2pm and stood around for 3+ hrs while the guys were issued their weapons and a year's supply of anti-malaria medication. It was a long hot afternoon. At 5:30 the buses pulled up to the unit to take the guys to a larger gym on post for the formal good-byes. That building was hot and as the people filed in it got hotter and hotter. We stepped out to the lobby and had our last few moments together there. I was overcome with emotion and we decided it was time to say our last good-bye and for me to head home. It was about 7pm and it has already been a LONG, hot, exhausting, emotional day. That last good-bye was heartbreaking.


This pic was taken at the unit...
Dad and Chopper saying good-bye.....

He looks entirely too happy...
Yesterday I heard from hubby by text and a quick call letting me know that they had made it to Germany and were awaiting their flight to Kurkistan where they will stay for about a week before heading into Afghanistan.
This morning I got an email telling me that they had arrived in Kurkistan and he was sleeping in a tent with about 200 other soldiers and that is was HOT.
All I can say to that is...."GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!"
On the homefront things have been very quiet. I'm not sleeping well, have had a constant headache and I'm sick to my stomach most of the time. Its going to be a long year...
Only 364 more days.....




1 comment:

  1. Yes I know how hard it is put a loved one on a bus for deployment to Afghanistan, having done it. Your headaches and upset tummy is normal with the stess you are feeling. Are there any support groups you could attend on base? You could voice your concerns with others going thru the same thing. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

    ReplyDelete